Wednesday 2 October 2013

Musical healing

I've been listening to Kirin J Callinan a lot lately. He is quite amazing. At first I wasn't sure if I liked his new album 'Embracism' because it is so different to his live performances I've seen - more electro and tight - but over time it grew on me and now I really like it. 

Kirin is one of the few modern musicians who I have a certain amount of respect for. You just get this vibe that he was born to be a performer - he has this presence on stage that only a few performers have - like you just can't take your eyes off him. And while I would describe him as pretty out there - I don't find him pretentious at all, I don't ever feel like he's acting up - they way I do with other musicians - that's just who he is and I love that. I find it really refreshing actually. 


I've seen him play live twice. The first time I saw him was at The Tote sometime in mid 2012 - I didn't know much about him at that stage and I wasn't yet aware of his fondness for dressing up in different styles - and he was sporting what I would call a 'Jo Strummer' look - army boots, cammo pants, singlet, dog tags and this front fringe shaved hairstyle. He looked pretty amazing.

The second time a saw him was at a more low key performance at the Northcote Social Club where I got to hear him play Love Delay with all his reverb pedals which doesn't really come through on the recording. He also has this amazing song Landslide which has reduced me to tears both times I've seen him play it live.

I also started listening to one of the bands he used to be in called Mercy Arms and they have this cool, but incredibly bad quality youtube music video Kept Low. It's very 2007? They kinda remind me of The Horrors meets The Go-Betweens or something.

 

 Anyway, one of my favourite Kirin J Callinan songs would have to be Thighs -
& Victoria M's good  too.


Simultaneously the creepiest/funniest video you've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!